Monday, March 20, 2006

It just ain't right.

Sadly, Nashville music site Nashvillezine.com will be shutting down. I wish it were some cruel early April Fools joke, but it's not. You shall be missed!

Good news? This weekend there were many good shows. If you've got photos or reviews, feel free to swing me an email and let me know.

I personally made an appearance at the lowercase collective/dan matthews show at 12th and Porter Thursday night. Although I dragged my slow self in a few minutes late, I was still impressed by the indie prog-rock played by lowercase collective. If the music didn't get you, the multimedia presentation sure did. With lyrical quotes between songs and a barrage of visual candy, I left the show feeling both entertained and sensationally pleased.

Dan Mathews followed up with an impressive set. Mathews' piano and musical skills were more than impressive and his band's musicianship completed the picture perfectly. Their music was eclectic. Some blues riffs, some classical work, and some straight up college rock. I'll be interested to see what else we see of this Belmont student in the future. What I'd like to see: Dan Mathews perform with band on a real live piano. His keys work was great, but I think the emotion of his music would hit home more of I heard it Ben Folds style on the REAL keys. I know, you can't lug a baby grand to every performance if you aren't Ben Folds. But Mr. Mathews, when you do hit the ivory, let me know.

Each have upcoming performances:
Dan Mathews will be playing on March 29 @ Windows on the Cumberland with the Reed Pittman Band.

Lowercase collective will be playing at local music lover The Basement on March 22 with Sleeptalker, Gracer, and Your Black Star. Also, they will be playing in the final round of audience-voting Emergenza Festival @ The Exit/In on March 29. Go see and vote for lowercase and The Roman Empire. After this round, it's all up to the judges, so don't miss the chance to cast your vote!

Other shows for the week will be posted later this week. I've got schoolwork out the wazoo and a business plan to halfway complete.

Keep rocking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you again for coming to the show. always a pleasure to see you. and thanks for the kind words.

sh4wn
lowercase collective