Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Spring Breakage

Hello rock n' rollers-

So spring break draws near for the MTSU crowd. While classmates cruise off to Cancun or wherever all the kids go these days, I'll be perusing the Nashville clubs for some shows. Check these puppies out.

Saturday, February 24:
AutoVaughn will be hitting up 12th and Porter with Brenn and The Rewinds. AutoVaughn is headed to SXSW in March, so catch 'em now before they come back all cool and famous 'n such.

Saturday also marks the opening of the f.y.e. in the old Tower building on West End. I will be interested to see how f.y.e. does. Go to the festivities though. There shall be song and dance!

Friday, March 2:
My Beautiful Disaster will be jamming on the square in Murfreesboro with Caprice and Dead Sun. If you haven't ever been to Wallstreet, check it out. It has a great vibe, nice and clean, and who knew so much rocking out could happen on the second floor?

Man so much goodness in the boro that night. Two co-workers of mine from the MTSU music school will be playing at The Boro Bar and Grill, the vermicious k'nids and Alex Grant. Muchos rocking to be done I'm sure. Also playing: the transcenders and Tequila.

Monday, March 5:
The Swear will be playing at BMI's 8th of 8th! I happened to see the Swear at a show at Exit/In in late '06 and they absolutely blew me away. I mean rarely do bands completely impress me the first time around. I was excited to learn that this Atlanta band has been featured on TV shows (including the cult TV show Roswell) and all kinds of elsewheres. Seriously, I can't wait to see where this band will go and I am jumping on their bandwagon RIGHT NOW. You should too. Or in the very least, go check them out at the Mercy Lounge. Rad. (Sorry kids...21+)


Other business:

There has been so much going on lately. Guess I must pick and choose for now.

In light of the recent announcement of Starwood's closing, I guess I must do the mandatory "Tell about your Starwood experience..."
I went to Starwood 3 times in my 20 years of living in Nashville. My first concert (don't judge me...) was Matchbox 20 and Paula Cole (keep in mind this was during my extreme Dawson's Creek addiction phase). My sister taught me that night what pot smells like.

At some point, my sister and I went out to Starwood to see Counting Crows and Live. Both put on a good show, but we were both there to see Live. And they are glorious, especially live.

The last time I graced Starwood with my presence was to see Jimmy Buffett on a double and half date including me and this particularly cute fellow, this parents, and his youth minister. Honestly, out of the three concerts, I think the Buffett concert is the one that will make me miss Starwood most because the outdoor venue was PERFECT for the show. (Not to mention Mr. Buffett made fun of the Harpeth Hall girls short skirts. Yeah he mentioned my high school during the show).

In truth, Starwood has been doomed for a while now. I think it's pretty sad that Live Nation promised the 2007 season and then yanked it when the right deal came along, but I think good things will eventually come out of this. One day...way off in the future.

Alas, I must whisk myself off to the electronics lab to build circuits. Let me know what shows you are seeing and what shows I should be listing. Before you know it, you too can be guru approved.

~peace~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great information on your blog. We also work with local music so you might be interested to see if any of your favorite bands are on RadioFire.net... if not maybe it would be nice for them to join.
go middle Tennessee !